30 April 2009

Poetry is rumored to be dead again this year*


Today is the last day of National Poetry Month, and I’ve read once again this year that poetry is dying. But it’s not. I’ll tell you why.

The old-fashioned, iambic, rhyming poetry can be a big part of a good childhood. It is satisfying to a human brain in its playful state. We know that children are affected by rhythm. Healthy children rock and swing, and unhealthy children knock their heads against the walls. Nursery rhymes and Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein and Edward Leary and every song lyric you’ve ever heard have rhythm and rhyme.

There was an old woman lived under the hill,

And if she's not gone she lives there still.

You see a large number of noses turn up when you mention poetry, but I’d venture to say that a majority of ordinary folks enjoy the universal wisdom in the simple kind of poetry, and they don’t buy poetry journals or get interviewed by Newsweek or read bare modern poetry. But they know you don’t fall asleep under a haystack while you’re supposed to be watching sheep and that you have to let your light shine, as well as

Righty tighty

lefty loosey

Thirty days has September,

April, June, and November.

I before E except after C

and when it says A

as in “neighbor” and “weigh.”

I studied contemporary American poetry as a master’s candidate. I like poetry that doesn’t rhyme, poetry that is hard to figure out, poetry that is translated from other languages, and poetry that emphasizes concision and intellect and symbol. But I really like the pleasure of a good rhyming poem, especially the fun of saying it aloud. Think about what happens when you hear the first bars of a song you haven’t heard for years: You start singing, without thinking, because your brain has stored the lyrics away in stanzas, with a chorus, a tune, and a beat. As poetry.


Fats and Skinny sleeping in the bed.

Fats rolled over, and Skinny was dead.

Some of the best moments I have ever spent in this life involved the energy and clarity of a good rhyming poem. When I was small, my mother would read to me. She was a good reader with a variety of voices and the timing of a dramatic actress, and I felt completely cheated if I had to go to bed without a private performance.

We’re three little kittens.

We’ve lost our mittens.

Birds in a pie, cows over the moon, highwaymen, ghosts, nightmare horses, dragons and fairies and porridge. I learned to make that magic for myself when I had to, because the poetry that my mother read to me stuck in my mind without effort. The words kept me calm and slowed my breathing and occupied the time until sleep came for me.

When I was a little boy, I lived by myself,

And all the bread and cheese I got I put upon a shelf;

A few years later, I read to my sister, speaking the voices as my mother had, pausing for effect, stretching a rhyme here and there to add to the drama. I enjoyed playing my mother’s role, especially if I was wearing her high heels while I read. I passed the rhythms and rhymes to my sister, and she would eventually carry them to her brood of children. I hope she did. Our favorite was the poem in the big red book in which a little girl entreats her doll to explain why she ignores her:

Matilda Jane, you never look

at any toys or picture books.

I show you pretty things in vain,

You must be blind, Matilda Jane.

I read to my youngest sister and my little brother too. I went to college where I wrote and read my own poetry. My son and I spent hours and days reading together. I had a much larger repertoire of voices by then, and I delighted in the fact that I could mesmerize him with the same old tales that were magical to me.

The time has come, the walrus said,

To speak of many things.

Even now someone in my family will recite a line from a poem we used to read together:

Did I ever tell you about Mrs. McCabe?

and someone else will answer with the next line:

She had twenty-three sons and she named them all Dave.

and so on…

Our first poems are the best. They contain lessons and mysteries and history. They tickle the brain and worm in deep and stay a long time and disappear last. Poetry is not dying. It’s not even ill.

*My apologies to any poet I misquoted. I thought it would be fun to see how accurate my memory is. Okay. I was too lazy to look things up.

14 comments:

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

wonderful post! thank you!

Sweet Pea said...

This used to enrage my bother John when we sang this rhyme to him--still does

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt,
His name is my name too.
Whenever we go out
The people always shout,
"There goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt."

And I wasn't fond of "Patty, Patty two by four..." especially since I wasn't. OK maybe a bit plump.

Good job.

DeadpanAlley said...

did you ever step on the water pipe-pipe?
down to the bottom of the sewer system?
there did you see a little alligator who answers to the name of Alvin?
if you did, he's mine.
i lost him.

i threw my Alvin down the water pipe-pipe.
down to the bottom of the sewer system.
'cause he was gettin' too big for his britches,
but now i'm feelin' lonely 'cause he's gone.
i miss him....

it's just not the same without the sing-song voice. typing can be so...limiting. *sigh*

xx

SugarCain said...

Tristan, you're a doll.

Pea, that is an annoying song. I don't blame your brother--I never liked it either.

Liese, I am going to keep my eyes open next time I step on the water pipe-pipe. I will leave you with:

I had a little monkey.
His name was Sunny Jim.
I put him in the bathtub
to see if he could swim.
He drank up all the water.
He ate up all the soap.
He tried to eat the washcloth
but it wouldn't go down his throat.

Woodsman said...

I have been working on a Poem for my girlfriend since Valentines day. It is still only 2/3 done. I will have to share it with you when I have it finished.

June Saville said...

This post is a delight SugarCain!
Poetry is certainly not dead. I think the young and older)these days write more verse than ever. Who cares if it's not traditional and exemplorary as some would wish?

It's fun, it can be insightful, and it's often simply wondrous.

I very recently wrote a little poem called 'At 72 ...' and put it on my writing site Journeys in Creative Writing. I am amazed at the comments it has attracted.

SugarCain said...

What a wonderful poem, June. Brief and yet so full. I know I'll turn to it again. Thank you. http://journeysincreativewriting.blogspot.com/2009/04/at-72-years.html

SugarCain said...

Woodsman, I'm sure your girlfriend will appreciate the effort you've put into the poem.

http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com said...

Your so funny!!!
I am a follower of you, do you follow me?

http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com
I host free giveaways to followers!!!!!

Illustrated Ink said...

Thank you for sharing this great post!

SugarCain said...

Thanks for stopping by, Illustrated Ink.

SugarCain said...

Papermoonies, Your work is beautiful.

Lilly said...

I agree its not dead at all. I think that people have this preconception of what poetry is whihc is perhaps the issue. Strangley enough I just found a piece of paper in a book that had a little poem my neice wrote. I must have kept it because it was so cute. She loves to write (is 8) and this one is quite hilarious.

You gotta gotta gotta be my love
I know you dont want to mess up my hair
but if you dont it wont be fair.

Oh dear, gosh knows where this child is headed he he.

Enjoyed the post.

Evelyn Mayfield said...

Please forgive this late reply. I am way behind in reading the blogs I follow. I love this post and have bookmarked it. I finally self-published my Busy Person's Prayer Book because publishers kept telling me that "rhymed prayers" would not be saleable. How wrong they are - the first two prayers we learn as kids, and probably the last two we remember in our old age, are rhymed verse: the Guardian Angel prayer and Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. I am so happy to know that others find the simplicity and comfort of rhyme to be a rhythm that actually soothes the human in times of stress and trouble. Bless you...
Hugs
Evie
http://www.lulu.com/content/3079378
http://www.prayersncrafts.blogspot.com
http://www.evelynmayfield.etsy.com