29 June 2009

All good things must end

I hate to give you another of my lazy posts full of photos, but I am dog tired and can't think of all the amusing things I've been storing up to tell you. Tomorrow I'll be back to normal (as far as I know).


All the treats and lovin' just wore my girl Pixie out.



Most of my first cousins showed up for the festivities. (Hey, where were Davey and Becky and Eric?) Except for the weather (hot hot hot), things went off without a hitch. Aren't we a motley crew? I'm the fat one on the right. Please believe me when I tell you that we are not always so sweaty and red-faced. Our collars are wet because we were forced to wear wet wash cloths on the backs of our necks so we wouldn't die of heat stroke.


This is my mama (left) and her two sisters. They are as sweet as honey. They are participants in the southern belle relocation program, whereby steel magnolias who were born in some other part of the country are retired to Tennessee to live out their days making seven-layer salads and saying, "Well, bless your heart."



Here's the house at the end of Mom's lane. I don't think anyone lives there, but there is a big television antenna on the roof, so you have to wonder.


We don't have to pay attention to this sign. We have connections.


Here's what I wanted to drive home, but it wasn't quite ready for me.


I stayed an extra day, so you know I had fun. There were no sister incidents. In fact, except for a couple of demon children, there were no unpleasantries at all. Just for the record, I believe that children should be taught the proper ways to interact with dogs. Then perhaps they will be ready for human contact.

I do have a funny story. My cousin Suzie has a sweet little boy named Michael. He was petting my Pixie gently and exclaiming over how much he liked her, although he is generally afraid of dogs. "Is this a Chihuahua?" he asked me. When I said yes, he told me, "This is the first Chihuahua I've ever touched!" While I was laughing at that, he added, "Well, except for that one that ran away in the woods." I never got a chance to ask him why a Chihuahua was in the woods, because we were laughing too much.

I'll be back to normal and back to actual blogging tomorrow. Thanks for vacationing with me.

5 comments:

Sweet Pea said...

Glad your visit was so pleasant. Fun to see the family photos. We have one of my husbands family reunion where they thought it would be fun to all gather, sit and stand on a wooden picnic table (these were not small people). The picture was taken mere moments before the inevitable happened. Unfortunately the camera wasn't quick enough to capture the aftermath since everyone scrambled up right away. No one was hurt and I, thankfully did not participate in the photo op! Equally glad to have you back. Work days are really long and boring without your presence.

La Belette Rouge said...

Well bless your heart! I love this post. One of the things I love about blogging is how it allows us to step into different worlds. I love this world you shared with us. The Chihuahua in the woods story is a hoot. Hope you have had a lovely vacation and that you travel home safely!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Sounds like a perfect family reunion, in my book! :-)

powdergirl said...

"Southern belle relocation program"
That is awesome! Makes me want to be a Steel Magnolia.
Looks like a great vacation.

powdergirl said...

BTW,
What a lovely long neck you have, you may well be a lost member of my tribe the 'Giraffrican Americans" of the Northern American hemisphere. We meet annually to assure that EMT's have neck-braces adequate to our unique needs.
(will post one day to tell the story of how that term got me in deep poo at a first aid course)