06 June 2009

"Human destiny is not determined by forces beyond our control"


Usually when everyone starts liking something, I don't like it anymore. It goes for music and celebrities and food. I just don't like being bombarded with the same thing over and over. But I can't help being trendy on this one. I love our president. And I love the fact that we don't have to be embarrassed when our president represents us abroad. I love the fact that he speaks well and is charismatic in a way that inspires others to rise above the ordinary. Today he spoke about men who performed extraordinary feats of bravery and courage.

"It was unknowable then, but so much of the progress that would define the 20th century, on both sides of the Atlantic, came down to the battle for a slice of beach only six miles long and two miles wide.

"More particularly, it came down to the men who landed here--those who now rest in this place for eternity, and those who are with us here today. Perhaps more than any other reason, you, the veterans of that landing, are why we still remember what happened on D-Day. You're why we keep coming back.

"For you remind us that in the end, human destiny is not determined by forces beyond our control. You remind us that our future is not shaped by mere chance or circumstance. Our history has always been the sum total of the choices made and the actions taken by each individual man and woman. It has always been up to us."



Thank you, brave men. Thank you, Mr. President.

Photo 1: Mandel Ngan, AFP. Today, on a beach near Colleville-sur-Mer. Photos 2 and 3: National Archives.

8 comments:

Beehive Cottage said...

As a young man, my Dad went to Korea to fight in the Conflict. I was an infant...I didn't understand. When I was 15, I heard men talk about WWII. It seemed like ancient history...I didn't understand. When I was 18, I protested the VietNam Conflict. It was the cool thing to do...I didn't understand. Now I'm 57. Life has taught me alot...now I understand. Bravery is not the absence of fear. Rather it is being afraid, even terrified, but doing what is necessary anyway. The boys who hit the beach that day deserve to be called brave men.

SugarCain said...

Thank you for your eloquent comment. I am grateful to your dad.

Tamis said...

I agree with you. I spent the last 8 years wishing I was Canadian. I think maybe there is hope for us afterall.

Well said and again Thanks to your Dad. I know he is gone but his acts of courage continue to give long after they are gone.

Nicola said...

Oh my goodness, the post was moving but the comment made me cry (in a good way)
God Bless the American President
(and I'm English!)

Nic x

Sweet Pea said...

I love Obama too. I loved the amazing speech he gave in Egypt. I printed it out to read it again and to remind me how wonderful it is to have a president I can respect and be proud of. It is wonderful to have a leader who is smart and compassionate and doesn't just stand around making threats and putting his foot in his mouth on a daily basis. How refreshing and inspiring and hopefully bridge-building.
To all the service men and women, thank you for making a difference in the world.Your actions do indeed shape our world for the better.
Thanks Sugar for reminding us in such a wonderful way to be grateful and thankful.

sallymandy said...

Thank you, S.C. My husband and father in law are veterans--my father in law spent six years in the Hanoi Hilton. Although I don't come from a military background myself--in fact, my family are more the "peacenik" type--I have learned so much from these dedicated men and deeply respect their service to their country. If we have to have a standing military, I want it to be made up of people like them. And I, too, love our president for recognizing them.

June Saville said...

I like the way your new President is connecting with people of all nations, colours and creeds. To my mind it's the only way forward.

June Saville said...

POST SCRIPT:
I'm an Aussie.