25 June 2009

My daily egg


I went to a rumpled, overweight nutritionist. It seemed ironic that she would advise me to give up my daily egg when her practices weren't working too well for her.

She pointed me in the direction of Weight Watchers and advised me to join a gym. Hmm. So that's what nutritionists do. I was hoping for a simple diet plan that I could easily follow. I'm broke, and if I need exercise I'm not going to pay to get it.

I got much better advice from powdergirl: Food is fuel. I have lost 3 pounds since I started walking purposefully and pondering the food I will eat. I hope I can keep it up.

Last November I learned that I was diabetic. That piece of news was totally unexpected and threw me off a little. None of the medical professionals were able to give me a good idea of a simple plan to follow. If this disease is so prevalent today, why isn't it easy to find good advice?

One doctor did tell me that if I would lose as little as 20 pounds, I might not need medication. I want that. So I am learning how to eat heathfully at the ripe old age of 53.

I had to do my own research, reading a whole shelf of books and websites galore, and testing my blood before and after I ate a food and noting the effects on my blood glucose level. I found the foods that I can eat and keep my levels reasonable. Very few of them are carbs.

I would have thought that I would lose weight just by giving up the six Cokes I liked to drink in a day. Add to that the fact that I have always been an absolute sugar hound and now I consume a teaspoon of sugar a day for my first cup of tea in the morning.

A big secret about carbs is that the fewer you eat, the fewer you want. I would have never believed it myself, but I sure am relieved to have lost my taste for them without a big battle.

Now I eat foods, not dishes. Dishes have rice and pasta and gravy and bread. But I can make a nice little picnic from a handful of berries, some almonds, and yogurt. I have learned to appreciate my food with my eyes: a favorite cobalt-colored plate, with sliced peaches and a strawberry and a dollop of vanilla yogurt. Beautiful. A ripe tomato from the farmers market with a scoop of cottage cheese on top, sprinkled with red pepper. A work of art.

I stay away from those "sugar free" foods since I found corn syrup on the ingredients list of a so-called sugar-free whipped topping. Instead of trying to replicate my favorite desserts in sugar-free form myself, now I just eat a little fresh or frozen fruit or a nice piece of dark chocolate or warm milk with a dash of cinnamon.

No potatoes, no white bread, no cake. Aside from the cake, I don't miss it.

I do like using Splenda, but I have my doubts about whether it is advisable to eat something that has been molecularly altered. Since I gave up Coke, I have developed a taste for lemonade made with Splenda, but the jury is still out on that one.

For the first time in my life I've found an exercise I don't completely hate. I eat six small meals a day with a lot of low glycemic impact fiber and protein. A nutritionist should know these things.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Maybe this disease is not such a bad thing for me.

I'm not giving up my egg.

7 comments:

amy grace said...

Giving up the egg is a stupid idea. Your diet and eating habits sound perfect to me; very similar to how I used to eat when I was more health-conscious. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll do fine.

I also hate nutritionists and the total ignorance of many doctors on the subject. You wouldn't believe the suspicious eyeballing I got from docs, nurses and nutritionists when I insisted on providing all my mom's food when she was at the hospital. It was vegan, delicious, and provided balanced *everything*. They didn't like her vitamins either. I hate mainstream medicine sometimes. They finally let me alone when they realized I knew what I was doing and listed for them all the ingredients and supplements. But they made me feel like I was the weirdo, while they wanted to give her processed meat and jello.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Stick with your egg. High protein/low carb diets are what sounds like is working for you. When I went on the low carb plan a few years ago, I ate a one egg cheese omelet for breakfast every day. My daily foods varied, but all low or no carb. I lost so much weight that people were making comments (I was down to 110 at 5 foot 9 - that's scary skinny). But, I have a very small frame, so it worked for me. Eventually, I got comfy at 120.

Also, there are some scary statistics out there about "modified" sugars, butter, etc. I prefer to eat the real thing, but in moderate amounts. Stick with "real" foods and you'll do great!

The Green Stone Woman said...

I used to be a diabetic until I lost the weight. I was using insulin and shooting up a few times a day.

Your diet sounds very sensible to me. More sensible than the one I got from my diabetes dietitian. Low carbohydrates are very sensible diets. High protein is good for you and will make you lose the weight.

Whenever I start liking a food too much, I make sure I don't buy it anymore to keep myself away from the temptation. Right now it is diet strawberry jam. It makes me eat too much muesli bread, so no good.

Hugs,
Irene

Lydia said...

Eggs are so good for you. You go, my little paperbat.

Cheri Sicard said...

Try Stevia instead of Splenda -- it's an all natural herb, no carbs, no calories. Because of the strong lobbying efforts of the folks that make Nutra Sweet, it can only be sold as a supplement instead of a sweetener in the US. But it has been safely used through much of the world for centuries as a sweetener. If you have a Trader Joes store nearby, they carry it. Cargill is making a chemically altered version of it called Truvia (can't charge as much if you don't chemically alter it), skip this and just buy pure Stevia.

Lilly said...

There is no way I would give up the egg either. My diet is mainly the following oats, an egg, two pieces of wholemal toast with banana or something similar on for breakfast with tea or the ocasional coffee, handful of nuts mid morning, protein and salad for lunch, piece of fruit in the afternoon and vegtables and protein at night. And I try and drink water. Then I do allow myself wine, maybe some sugar etc about one ever few weeks. It works and you dont miss the sugar and carbs its true. I wish I could do better in the exercise department though. Oh thats right I need to get off the computer....a fat nutritionist is like a bald hairdresser - no I would not listen to her. And you can do Weight Watchers online and anyone I know who has done it has loved it. I am just not the regimented kind and I need to do it simply.

SugarCain said...

Thanks, girls. You are so full of practical advice and you're like cheerleaders. I like it that you agree with me about the lowly egg.