19 July 2009

Poetry for Sunday


It's that time again: this week's poetry post. I don't know if I can pull this off every week. I think I hear some of you saying, "Yay!"

I was inspired by one of my best blogger friends to write this poem. She's given me a lot of support, and she knows who she is, so we'll leave it at that. If you've given me a lot of support and don't see yourself in this poem, wait your turn. I'm a slow writer.

I also must admit that I've taken a bit of poetic license with the geography, since she's not really all the way around the world from me.


The Wolf of the World

A woman on the other side

of the world sleeps when I wake

wakes alone without map or net

and watches each way while I sleep.

A candle burns on both ends.



A harsh note on the other side

of the dark vibrates up my last nerve

and sets me humming in my spine.

Speak now. You will not be allowed

to forever hold your peace.



I must stand with the woman

who stands with me, because

women can do these things: pull

each other up by the boot buckles

carve each other out sin by sin.



I send notes to the other side

of the void to say: yes

I have not only heard of the wolf

I have seen him from the corner

of my eye, that sly worn devil



nearly toothless in the light of cold day

but often so large and so patient.



I hope your weekend has been poetic.


3 comments:

The Green Stone Woman said...

It made me cry and I have goose bumps. Bravo! Email follows.

Lydia said...

OMG - this may be your calling!! Among your many other talents!!! Goose bumps!

Funny the wolf. I had the wolf this weekend too. Maybe the wolf is out and about.

I look forward to next Sunday!

Sweet Pea said...

Please do continue the poetry. Even if I don't always understand a poem or a poets voice I can always enjoy the way the words mingle and create a thought or feeling and paint a vivid picture. In fact it is the mingling of words in all writing that I really enjoy and keeps me reading everyday.
You can really mingle!