27 January 2010

Valentine thoughts

I love Valentines.

Because we lived so far away, I don't remember meeting my grandma until I was four years old, and that only briefly. Most of my younger years, Grandma was photos, letters, and cards. Cards! With glitter and foil and dry embossing and movable parts. The Valentines were especially appealing, with their hearts and lace and sweet sentiments.

So here's my first Valentine of the year. The little pocket on the front holds a tag for a special message. The pocket can also hold a gift card, tea bag, chocolate square, or love note. My favorite part is the inside tag with the x and o.

I can't tell you what sort of paper I used. I bought a stack about a foot tall at a rummage sale, and I've been trying to use it up ever since.

I stamped lightly with tea-colored Ranger Distress Ink, and used the same color to antique the edges of the paper pieces. I crumpled up a piece of pink card stock and smoothed it with a bone folder, and then repeated it numerous times until I liked the soft texture of the paper. I drew a tag and cut it out, backed it with pinkish card stock and tied a little raffia through a paper heart and a tiny button. I used some mulberry paper that Crooked Stamper sent to me. And glitter, of course.

See anything strange about my photos? I am stressed by the fact that I can't seem to take a decent photo for anything. Really. No matter how many experts give me advice. I don't understand it. But I'm not going to let that hold me back. These images are scanned. I know they aren't good, but I'm just going to call it my style for now.

I hope these scans don't kill my mentor Lydia.

6 comments:

Dreena Guptill said...

yummy yummy valentine goodness!

I'm sure these won't kill Lydia, she might claw at her hair a little, but she'll be wooed by the valentine pretty....so you're good...

Lydia said...

HAHAHA - at first I was so super proud that you cut out the backgrounds in photoshop and then I read what you said - hilarious! I'm still kickin'! They look great!

But the Valentine is beautiful. And you made me all nostalgic about the things my grandma used to mail me.

I'd like to know how Dreena knows I claw my hair.. :)

HAHA - my WV is strok - Dreena, I don't claw, I just strok...

ackstay said...

This is great!!! I love the color and the antique look. You are amazing! Maybe you can be my mentor!

leslie (crook) said...

GASP! You used RANGER?!?!? heh heh (I kid!)

Your card is lovely! And based on MY photography skillz, which are few, this looks just fine. We need to see your art, and I thank you for using the scanner.

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

really really pretty!

powdergirl said...

Very nice, Darlin'!
My Grandma on my fathers side was a twinkly eyes peach of a woman I didn't see in the flesh very often either.

I'm looking at a shell covered and glitter dusted little box she made me when I was little right now : )